Friday, November 8, 2013

Like a drought? Listen to the "bull-biosolids"

 
"I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies." If you ask me a "how to" or "what about" question, I feel pretty confident stealing that line from Butterfly McQueen's character, Prissy, in Gone with the Wind. I was the guy in high school who could study for the test and do well, but if you asked me to explain how this week's physics concept applies to what we discussed earlier in the year or how a particular theory applies to a given situation, well, you might as be asking me to help deliver your next child.

I'm a generalist (I prefer that term to "shallow"). I know a little bit (a dangerous little bit) about a lot of stuff, so I've found it safer to remain relatively apolitical. I lean to the left, but if you asked to explain big government vs. trickle-down economics, I'm a goner.

So, normally, "I don't know nothin' 'bout" whatever you might ask, but I do know water supply in Texas. I work at an engineering firm that almost dominates the Texas market in water resources planning and design for water supply projects. Since the Texas Legislature approved SB 1, which authorized the State Water Plan, our firm has been directly involved in the development of nine of the state's 16 regional water supply plan, which collectively becomes the State Water Plan (update every three years). Just as importantly, our engineers have been helping clients in securing hundreds of millions of dollars in Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Loans during the course of the loan program.

Unfortunately, being apolitical has made me a little naive; however, I do pay enough attention to be concerned over the chasm of unbending, no-compromise opinion that I believe is pushing us toward a socio-ethnic civil war. One of my bigger concerns is that far-right platforms over the last few years have thrived on fear and misunderstanding and as a result, have pushed America back into a '60s level of intolerance, frustration and hatred.

Earlier this week, Texas voters approved the use of $2 billion from the State's "Rainy Day Fund" to fund projects called for in the State Water Plan. Known simply as "Prop. 6," the Constitutional amendment provided funding for State Revolving Fund Loans for the next 50 years. Given the matching fund required by public entities like cities, water districts and river authorities, the $2 billion will be leveraged into about $56 billion in construction projects (from a selfish perspective, this program will result in an estimate $100 million in engineering fees each year).

To support the vote for Proposition 6, I posted its logo as my Facebook profile picture and encouraged my Facebook friends to vote. Several "Likes," then one of my far-right friends posted a comment: "No-o-o-o-o-o!"

He then posted a comment and link to my wall, where he talked about the $27 billion the State will be forced to pay (the loan programs may require matching funds by the water provider agencies that use them) and other misinformations, plus a link to a grossly misleading  Texas Observer article: Prop 6: Slush Fund or Solution to Texas’ Water Woes? 

I was shocked. Normally, I blow off right-wing "biosolids" (since I'm in the water business, I'll use the technical term for ... poo) because I am naively apolitical, but knowing something about the State Water Plan and Proposition 6, I couldn't believe how far off base my friend ... my often-outspoken, politically active friend ... a smart guy, was in his comments ... as in out-and-out, no-prisoners-taken wrong.

What's the issue? Where do we as citizens draw the line with allowing media and political spinmasters to simply lie to confuse issues, reinforce prejudices and widen the gap splitting our country? Just as importantly, are we as public relations professionals willing to say "no" to clients whose practices are not "mutually beneficial" (I guess to extremist readers and media they are) and that threaten our professional ethics?

Just in case there's any question about how I really feel:



Follow me on Twitter @FWgib


And just in case you want a quick synopsis of Gone with the Wind (or something like it):






No comments: