Friday, November 15, 2013

I got your diva right here: Four tips for dealing with stress

 
My boss called me a diva this afternoon. If I'm going to be a diva, today, I'd like to be this diva (and I'm not ever sure who she is). In reality, I felt a lot like the guy from "Network," who loses it and goes on a "I'm mad as hell" rant.

 
 
 Okay, I felt a little like Joe Pesci or Robin Williams in one of those Snickers commercials, too.

Anyway, she called me a diva. Normally, I like to think that I define calm when it comes to managing stress and deadlines. But today, I was a mad as hell. The situation doesn't matter much except that I thought one co-worker was being grossly (and obliviously) disrepectful to another, to the point where I found myself across my boss' desk and letting loose with uncharacteristic, some-made-up profanity in describing the offender.

So, if I'm going to be a diva today, I want to be well-armed with a cold-blooded, decision-made face and really cool red gloves.

I say all this because I am impressed with the public relations professionals who maintain calm in the most stressful situations, including (unlike me) when others in their charge are unfairly treated. It's no wonder that The Huffington Post named "public relations" as #7 on its list of the 10 Most Stressful Jobs of 2012.

The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), in the October 21, 2011 edition of The Public Relations Strategist, discussed the more stressful issues affecting public relations professionals.They ranged from "the internal need to act thoughtfully and strategically and the external pressures of the media’s never-ending news cycle" to the client's reluctance to share information and, as you might guess, the absence of a well-prepared crisis communications plan.

PRSA offers stress management tips in four categories: preparation, teamwork, perspective and practice. As the article explains its tips, it features commentary from public relations professionals. Here are my favorites:

Preparation
"Writing from Afghanistan, Air Force Technical Sergeant Michael Andriacco serves as regional support command, north public affairs officer. 'The best way for me to manage crisis-related stress is to have confidence in the groundwork I’ve laid with my superiors as well as the media and public,' he said.'Without the foundation, my stress would be much higher.'”

Teamwork
"Monica Carazo, communications officer for the Los Angeles Unified School District, offered, 'My crises usually deal with life-and-death situations of students. To lessen the stress, each department member has assigned duties. One PIO talks to the parents. Another takes calls from the field. A third PIO writes media statements'.”

Perspective (my #1 favorite)
"As a former public affairs officer for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and National Transportation Safety Board, Phil Frame was responsible for communications during plane crashes and an Amtrak derailment. 'Keep your perspective,' he said. 'I knew there was nothing I could do to bring the victims back to life. My role was to help prevent the next disaster from occurring.' Touching on the importance of planning, Frame, now president of Outcome Assurance Corp in Detroit, added, 'Use your brain, your crisis plan and your instincts to make decisions, not emotions.'”

Practice
"Medical experts caution that extreme stress can lead to an inability to think clearly, headaches and irritability, sometimes resulting in serious health issues. Exercise, get enough rest and remember to eat. Consider taking a break when the crisis is over ... Barbara Kerr, APR, executive director of communications and marketing for Clark College in Vancouver, concluded, 'Remember that this too shall pass. If time allows, then I do crossword puzzles or Sudoku to think about something else . . . while eating dark chocolate.'”

As for me, I'm going shopping for a pair of red gloves and practicing that special "your time is up" stare. Not really the one at the top of the page, but this one (click on photo for theme music):

 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4
 

Follow me on Twitter -- @FWgib



No comments: